29 August, 2012

Saturn Opposed to Mercury

A Snapshot Of My Desk:

Next to the printer: a Notice of Arraignment from the Grant County Magistrate Court in Silver City for making an "improper turn to the right to [SIC] wide striking another vehicle."

On top of that, a renewal of auto registration card from the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles for my old Volvo. MUST BE RETURNED BY: 8/19/2012, it reads.

To the right of the mousepad: A packet of information I received yesterday from the credit union I joined last week to get a loan for partial payment on my *new* car.

On top of that, the renewed registration sticker for the coming year for my old Volvo, which I discovered had been picked up by a salvage company two days before I renewed registration online.

Sitting on top of my datebook: A scrap of paper scribbled with my username, password, special security question answer and phone number of the credit union I just joined, along with my application number, length of term of loan, and monthly payment.

Moving clockwise around, we have a copy of the signed application I sent back to the credit union yesterday, and a list of things to do, some done, some not, none crossed off:

Renew rental
Credit for new tires?
Email address of the claims department of the insurance company, where I have twice sent copies of the invoices for the new tires and spare I bought ten days before the accident.
Get financing
Get email proof of insurance for new car

And on the last pile of papers, the specs for the 2009 Hyundai Accent I would appear to be buying, with a receipt of my deposit underneath it. Then there's a handwritten sheet with the phone number for the claims department of the Hartford, phone number for the car rental place and the cost of my new insurance policy, a mere $350 more than it used to be.

Under that is my old insurance policy and a letter giving me the breakdown of the amount of money the Hartford are paying for the Volvo, giving the value of the tires as zero.

The only non-car-related piece of paper in sight, but having to do with Mercury and communication just the same, is a notice from the Post Office that my mail forwarding order will expire on September 30, and that I should notify my correspondents of my new mailing address. This would be all very well, except it's from last year, and this year's change of address form goes to November 30. Somewhere here, I feel is the explanation of my receiving exactly six pieces of mail in the last two months.

So there's Saturn opposed to Mercury in MY life, and there's a week to go before it perfects. Did I mention that's the same day as my scheduled court appearance?

No comments:

Post a Comment