06 May, 2012

Mercury Square Midheaven

"Clear Objectives"? What is this, a joke? About the only objective I had yesterday was to watch the Kentucky Derby, a goal I remembered round about nine p.m., two and a half hours after I'll Have Another (and I'd have put money on THAT) evidently surprised the racing world by coming in first.

And why, you may well ask, after the trials and tribulations I went through to not bet on Neptune Collanges in the Grand National, did I not have money on any of the Kentucky runners, now that I've decided my true calling in life is to follow in my father's footsteps and bet on the ponies to give meaning and bring satisfaction to this life in limbo I'm slogging through for another 40 days, not that I'm counting or anything?

For an answer to that, we need to go back to the last line of my Clever Dick post of a few days ago, gloating that I'd put one over on the geniuses at Apple. Ha ha I hadn't, because the next day they called to tell me there was a crack in the plastic of the screen, that damage wasn't covered by AppleCare and that if I wanted it repaired it would cost $446, at which point I had put the phone down.

(My current lack of anything resembling patience, I realize, can be directly attributed to my not taking my prescribed daily dose of a 20g Celexa tablet for coming up to two weeks now and confirms my long-time lurking suspicion that the correct name for the psycho-pharmaceuticals I've been taking since shortly after 9/11 is zombie pills.)

So, having no patience to go into the long involved story of the Apple store calling me back, asking me what I wanted to do, telling me they don't have the parts they need to repair the computer even if that's the way I want to go, me telling them to overnight it back to me so I can take it into an Apple store I can reach by public transport instead of having to ask someone with a car to drive me, them telling me they would do that no charge as a courtesy and then calling back to say the tracking number showed they'd sent it overnight next business day without specifying Saturday delivery and me composing a vitriolic letter in my head to Tim Cook, Kentucky Derby day found me using the old iMac the ceiling fell down on when I used to be a New Yorker with all the online betting site passwords and stuff sitting on the MacBook Air which was in turn sitting in the FedEx sorting facility fifteen miles away waiting to be delivered thirty-six hours later.

Add to the above my finally understanding the meaning of the term "sucker punch" and experiencing it to the max after learning my landlord has accepted my counter-counter-counter-counter offer of a buy-out and as of June 2 I will no longer have an apartment in New York, any readers still reading may perhaps dimly understand my need to distract myself from what passes for reality yesterday afternoon.

Whether anyone will understand why I chose to do so by losing myself completely in a frantic online search for single-wide mobile *homes* and houses made from shipping containers, thus completely forgetting the running of the Kentucky Derby, is another matter, but with Mercury coming to conjunct Mercury in seventeen hours time, I supposedly have a very good chance of getting through to people, so maybe someone will.

Clue: it has something to do with 1674 Redux.

1 comment:

  1. an interesting read, I had a bet on Neptune Collanges too x

    ReplyDelete